About the Cambridge Elective
The Elective Attachment is undertaken at the Cambridge University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust (Addenbrooke's Hospital), Hills Road, Cambridge. The Hospital is well-known for its pioneering work in various aspects of medicine. Staff in all specialties are interested in teaching and apart from short spring, summer and New Year breaks, there are always local medical students on site. This hospital complex is part of a large campus which includes accommodation, shops, restaurants and a fully equipped sports centre.
The Elective Placement
- A limited number of elective periods of study each year is available for final year undergraduate medical students from Schools where only one senior elective period is scheduled.
- Only one elective per student is permitted.
- Vacancies exist throughout the year with the exception of the December holiday period. Dates are set by Cambridge in advance.
- Elective placements are offered for 6 weeks only.
- Electives are offered in a single specialty only.
- Once an elective has been arranged, no changes can be made.
- Students will agree a schedule for their elective with the lead consultant at the beginning of their visit. Some research may be possible but this cannot be guaranteed.
- You must be able to read and speak English competently.
- You are advised not to travel to another country without purchasing medical insurance.
No tuition fees are charged for the elective but students who are offered a placement are charged an administrative fee of £250. When your application has been processed, and a place provisionally offered, you will be asked to pay the administration fee. Information about methods of payment will be sent to you with the offer of a place.
It is not possible to offer financial assistance towards expenses and students must make their own arrangements for travel.
Basic accommodation in single rooms is provided by the Clinical School at a cost of £970 for the placement. Each room is furnished with a single bed, wardrobe, desk with chair and washbasin. There are shared kitchen, bathroom and shower facilities. Payment is due one month before arrival.