Appraisal, also referred to as Staff Review and Development (SRD), is an essential part of the University’s commitment to developing staff. The University has set out a framework for how SRD is carried out, and encouraged Institutions to develop their own procedures.
The School of Clinical Medicine has developed an Appraisal Scheme (“the Scheme”) which is based on the University framework. The Scheme is applicable to all staff employed within the School. Within the School, appraisal is an annual process for all staff. The School has also developed its own appraisal form which has been designed to be used across all staff groups. There is also a School of Clinical Medicine Question and Answers document which provides additional helpful guidance.
The purpose of the School of Clinical Medicine Appraisal Scheme is to:-
- Enhance work effectiveness; and
- Facilitate career development.
- provides the opportunity for staff to have uninterrupted time with their line manager/PI to discuss performance and development, expectations and objectives, and to ensure these are in line with the objectives of the Department and School of Clinical Medicine;
- provides an opportunity for positive and constructive two-way review of work progress;
- supports academic and research staff in maximising their research potential and to support the Research Excellence Framework (REF);
- provides an opportunity to invest time in nurturing careers to ensure that individuals fulfil their full potential, supporting a process of continuous professional development;
- supports engagement, which is linked to both improved motivation and greater staff retention; facilitates the recognition and celebration of achievement;
- provides an opportunity to discuss succession planning which is of particular importance at the latter stages of an established officer’s career;
- supports setting of objectives and priorities, and agreement of an action plan;
- allows for identification and discussion of difficulties or obstacles to the appraisee’s effectiveness, and ways in which any difficulties and obstacles to progress could be removed;
- provides for discussion of training needs for the appraisee’s current role, as well as career development.
The Clinical School welcomes feedback on the operation of the Scheme. If you have suggestions that would help to improve the process or the supporting paperwork please contact the Clinical School HR Business Manager or your HR Adviser.
PPD University Staff Review and Development Training (Appraisal)
Staff review and development for reviewers:
Online training – http://www.training.cam.ac.uk/cppd/event/1208940
PPD also hold regular “classroom” based sessions – see “staff review and development – practical for reviewers” at: http://www.training.cam.ac.uk/cppd/theme
Staff review and development for reviewees:
Again, PPD hold regular “classroom” based sessions – see “staff review and development – practical for reviewees” at: http://www.training.cam.ac.uk/cppd/theme