There are a limited number of Elective Placements available each year and we ask students to follow the application process as set out below should they want to apply for a Cambridge Elective Placement.
In order to apply for an Elective Placement, applicants must meet the Entry Requirements. The Clinical School regrets that any applications that do not meet the Entry Requirements will not be considered.
There are three stages to the application process:
- Stage 1 – Initial application submission and payment of Application Fee (amount TBC)
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email with an application number/ID and a link to our payment page. Please follow the payment link, enter your unique application number and pay the fee. You must complete payment immediately, any applications without confirmation of payment will be rejected.
- Stage 2 – Request for additional information and payment of Occupational Health and Administrative Fee (amount TBC) following receipt of provisional offer
- Stage 3 – Confirmation of offer and payment of the Accommodation Fee (amount TBC). The Accommodation Fee must be paid no later than 2 months before the start of your placement. If you are planning on doing a shorter elective (minimum 4 weeks) please be aware that you will still be required to pay the Accommodation Fee in full.
If we have not received payment of Accommodation Fee at least 2 months before the start date of your placement then you will be withdrawn from the programme and your place will be offered to the next person on the waiting list.
This is because we need at least 2 months to be able to offer the place to another student.
The table below outlines the process for 2025 elective placement applications.
|To open 29th February 2024
(applications will close on 1st July 2024 - 9am UK time)
|Stage 1 Applications
|Students are asked to complete the first stage of the application process including:
• Online application form - including block and speciality preferences
• University Transcript
• Reference from the University Dean
• English certificate (if required - for more information please visit the Entry Requirements & Fees page)
• Payment of a non-refundable application fee (except for students from Hinari A countries)
*YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE PROCESSED UNLESS WE HAVE RECEIVED PAYMENT FOR THE APPLICATION FEE.
If you are submitting more than one application (e.g. an application for Block 6 and an application for Block 7) you are only required to pay ONE application fee. When you receive your confirmation email for your second application submission, please ignore the request to pay.
We aim to contact all applicants within four weeks of the application deadline to confirm whether their Stage 1 application has been successful. If you are applying for Block 1 or 2, processing your application will be prioritised in April-May in order to give enough time to process your application through Stage 2. Therefore, please make sure that you have paid your application fee immediately after submitting your application as any applications without payment cannot be processed
Successful applicants will be offered a provisional placement and asked to complete Stage 2 of the process.
If the Stage 1 application is unsuccessful, eligible applicants will be placed on the waiting list.
Any applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
|Stage 2 Applications
|Successful students will receive a provisional offer of placement and be asked to complete stage 2 of the application process by the deadline specified in the offer letter. The Stage 2 deadline is usually 1 month from the date of the provisional offer.
Stage 2 of the application process requires students to complete the following:
• Payment of a non-refundable Occupational Health fee
• Payment of a non-refundable administration fee
• Health assessment forms and immunisation records
• A verified and stamped coloured copy of your passport (valid for the selected placement dates) must be provided.
• An original colour copy of your police/CRB/DBS check
NON-UK OR IRELAND STUDENTS ONLY
Checking Visa requirements (EEA and Swiss citizens will be able to ask for a Visa upon entry to the UK)
In order to secure a place on the Cambridge Elective, students must complete all components of Stage 2 by the deadline specified in the provisional offer letter. We would recommend that applicants prepare all documents in advance to ensure they do not lose their place once it has been provisionally offered.
|Stage 3 Confirmation of placement
|Students who successfully complete Stage 2 of the application process by the specified deadline will receive a confirmation letter of their placement by email.
Accommodation is provided as part of the Elective Placement.
Payment for the accommodation must be paid no later than 2 months prior to the start date of the elective placement.
If we have not received payment of accommodation fees at least 2 months before the start date of your placement then you will be withdrawn from the programme and your place will be offered to the next person on the waiting list.
If you have any questions please check our FAQ page.