All nationals from outside the UK and Ireland coming to Cambridge as visiting students from 1 January 2021 will require the appropriate immigration permission for their studies. Changes have been made to the immigration system to enable both non-EEA and EEA nationals to come to the UK for study purposes.
Please see a summary below:
- EEA and Swiss nationals will now be included in the passport and visa checks, except Irish nationals.
- EEA and Swiss nationals will not need to apply for a visa in advance, the same as other non-visa nationals. They request to enter as a visitor on arrival in the UK at immigration control. If you use the eGates, you will have to make sure to keep your boarding pass/train ticket, as we will need this as proof of the date you entered the country.
- What used to be the ‘Tier 4’ immigration route has become the ‘Student’ route.
- Visa nationals are required to apply for a visitor visa in advance of travel to the UK. A list of visa nationals is outlined in the Immigration Rules.
- The short-term study (STS) route closed in early December 2020 and study for under 6 months will be allowed under the standard ‘visitor’ route.
- All students from non-majority English-speaking countries should have their language assessed
You will need to undertake the elective placement under the ‘visitor’ route. The Clinical School will issue a specific letter for this purpose. Students will be asked to provide the required information as part of Stage 2 of the application process. Visa nationals will be able to submit this letter in support of their Visa application, while non-visa nationals can bring this with them to show at Border Control.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure they remain up to date with visa requirements as they may be subject to change without notice by UK Visas and Immigration.
A visiting student immigration Moodle site is to be launched in Lent Term which will include detailed guidance as well as template, letters and other relevant documents. In the meantime, the Clinical School recommends that you visit the websites listed below which offer information about applying and entering the UK for a Cambridge Elective placement:
Information for students: www.internationalstudents.cam.ac.uk/immigration/short-period-study