To be eligible to apply for a place on the IFME programme applicants MUST
- Be involved in the teaching of The University of Cambridge undergraduate medical students on a regular (preferably weekly) basis throughout the duration of the programme (September-March). Proof of this is required on application (see below).
- Be at minimum grade of Foundation Year 2 (FY2) or equivalent in primary care or public health
- Be able to attend the minimum required amount of teaching sessions (at a location within central Cambridge, UK and remote sessions) (click here for the 2022-23 dates )
- Be prepared to use Moodle, the University of Cambridge’s online learning platform; (a login and password will be issued to successful applicants) to obtain learning resources, find the information you need about upcoming sessions and any pre-work required, find templates and proformas and communicate with other participants
- Be prepared to arrange and undertake two teaching observations. One must be of your teaching by another participant: they observe your teaching, evaluate it and provide written comments to you. The other is for you to observe their teaching (or another colleague’s teaching) and provide them with a written evaluation. These must be carried out ahead of completing your final written assignment and submitted with the essay at the end of the programme.
- Be able to complete the programme over a two-year consecutive period. Ideally you would complete the programme within one year but if that is not possible, at the end of year one participants who have not managed to meet the minimum attendance requirements will have the option to complete the programme over two years.
- Be able to participate fully in the interactive face to face and/or remotely delivered sessions and allow sufficient time to carry out the pre and post session work.
The School of Clinical Medicine regrets that any applicants who do not meet the entry requirements will not be considered for a place on the programme.
Proof of teaching
If you are appointed either by the School of Clinical Medicine or by one of our partner regional hospital trusts as an Undergraduate Clinical Supervisor we will check this status with our records. You will not require any further proof of teaching.
If you are teaching in another capacity, on your application form please provide us with the details of the person that can verify your teaching, for example the Sub-dean of the Trust or GP lead. They will be contacted to confirm. Please ensure that they send you a copy of the verification which we will request from you if it is needed to complete your application.
Please see the Application time line for more information on how the applications process works.
Click here to go to the Programme Overview and Attendance Requirements page
Click here to go to the Application Form.
If you are not eligible for this course, you may wish to visit Other similar training courses you may be interested in page.