Where employees take paid leave under the provisions of the University’s parental leave schemes, the majority of grant awarding bodies provide additional financial support. However, some grant awarding bodies, for example some charities, do not support this approach. Mindful of the potential disadvantage this leads to, the School has identified funds to be used to support additional unfunded costs.
The Scheme commences in September 2015.
To be eligible for this funding an employee of the School must:-
1. meet the requirements of the relevant University parental leave scheme. Please see:-
- Maternity policy:
- Adoption policy:
- Shared parental leave:
- Paternity leave policy:
2. be funded by a grant which has declined to pay the additional costs that are to be requested from School funds.
The Scheme is intended to ensure equity regardless of funding source ie to prevent unavoidable disadvantage – it is not within the spirit of the Scheme for funders to refuse to support additional costs on the basis that the School will cover these. The funding body must therefore be approached first. Please contact your Research Support Advisor in the University Research Operations Office for further advice
The award of funds is at the discretion of the School on a case-by- case basis and is subject to individual case approval by the School Finance Manager on behalf of the Regius.
1. A Parental Leave Application for Funding form (PLAF) must be submitted to the School Finance Adviser by the Departmental Administrator.
The PLAF submission must include evidence from the research sponsor that such additional costs are not covered under the terms of the funding.
2. This will be forwarded by the School Finance Adviser to the School Finance Manager for review.
3. The Business/Operations Manager will be advised of the outcome of the application by the School Finance Adviser.
4. If the application is successful, a countersigned PLAF will be returned to the Department with a reference number for any future correspondence.
 For example, the Wellcome Trust and the Research Councils
 The Scheme is open to staff who commence their approved parental leave absence on or after 1 September 2015